Re: GStreamer releases

hi,

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 11:22 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> On 8/29/05, Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje ronald bitfreak net> wrote:
> > So, short, yes, it should go in 2.12; we should be prepared for a new
> > gst-plugins release when that turns out to be necessary (for 2.12.1 /
> > distros / etc.), because there's some new features in there and from
> > experience we know that this may break. However, we shouldn't be scared.
> > Let's just rock. Users love such features.
> >
> > Now, the gotcha: if DVD playback breaks, I cannot fix it. I returned my
> > DVD laptop to Fluendo and no longer own a DVD player. Important detail.
> > I can and will help fixing it, but I cannot fix it.
>
> Ouch. I'm really uncomfortable saying in one step 'we should probably
> be ready to do another release' and the next breath saying 'not going
> to be me'.
>
> > I'll leave the final
> > decision of including 0.8.11 in 2.12.0 up to you. My suggestion is a
> > 'yes'.
>
> I'm not comfortable shipping it if there is no one on the hook to fix
> it. Otherwise, it seems like something I can live with.

In that case, one of the other GStreamer people (which pretty much
implies one of the Fluendo people) will have to take that task upon him,
or it can't be done.

Again, I'm ready and willing to help out and give advice. But I can't do
it alone, since I lack hardware (both the actual DVD drive, as well as
the CPU power for proper playback testing).

Ronald