Re: Notes and press release

On 8/26/05, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> Could you please look over the release notes and make any obvious changes
> directly in cvs (before it freezes for translation on August 31st)? I'm
> not getting much response about it on marketing-list:
> http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnomeweb-wml/www.gnome.org/start/2.12/notes/docbook/C/
>
> It's online already at the obvious place, though I prefer not to link to
> it yet in a publically-archived list.
>
> I put it together very quickly and don't have much time to make it
> perfect. Hopefully Davyd will finish the screenshots real soon too. The
> press release (in the same place) also needs urgent attention.

I've fixed up some typos, mis-spellings and such.  Some questions
(Luis: #5 is for you specifically) and comments:

1) The documentation page claims that each program comes with complete
user documentation.  Is this correct?  I know Shaun is a miracle
worker and all (what would we do without him?) but given that he
pretty much is the documentation team, I wasn't sure if this was
accurate.  (I'm also worried about http://www.gnome.org/learn/, but
perhaps that will all show up at the last minute...)

2) According to http://l10n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2.12/top.html there
are 37 languages at or above 80% rather than 33.  This number might
change over the next two weeks, though.  Are there plans to update the
list?  Is this left for the i18n team to do (I hope)?  If not, where
does one get the count of speakers of a given language?

3) The standards page mentions Xdnd, EWMH, XEMBED, and XSETTINGS as
"other" standards that are supported making it appear that these
aren't freedesktop.org standards.  EWMH definitely is (though, yeah,
it was started before freedesktop.org and the mailing list for it is
under mail.gnome.org, but that's just because moving a mailing list
isn't worth the effort; the cvs and webpage stuff is all on
freedesktop.org), and the links to the other three at least point to
freedesktop.org so I'm assuming they're freedesktop.org projects too.
Should these be moved around in that paragraph?

4) The installation page mentions jhbuild for CVS only; if we can
agree on a good place to put the jhbuild modulesets (Vincent suggested
/ftp/pub/GNOME/teams/release/2.11 and s/2.11/2.12/) then we can have
jhbuild for tarballs as well and put the 2.11.91 and 2.11.92 releases
that Vincent and I did up for others to use.

5) The Known Issues page is merely a copy of the one from 2.10.  What
issues do we want to include this time, if any?  (Luis?)