Re: Which Yelp version for 2.12.0?

On 8/23/05, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> (not sure if I should send this on d-d-l, so I'm not doing it for
> now :-))
>
> Yelp has a critical/showstopper bug [1]: "Help browser content is
> inaccessible". It's still not clear if it's still the case with the
> latest Mozilla code.
>
> If it's now accessible, then great, we can use Yelp 2.11.x/2.12.0. But
> if it's not, what should we do? Do we still want to wait for Mozilla and
> stay with Yelp 2.10.0? Or not?

Yelp 2.10.0 was not based on yelp 2.9 but rather on 2.6 for the same
reasons (2.7 & 2.8 were never created due to gnome-doc-utils not being
far enough along and yelp CVS at the time depended on it).  While
fixing those accessibility issues is important, I think we can't hold
up yelp indefinitely due to those issues[1].  If it's a serious enough
issue, I'd suggest those interested do the work to make yelp-current
and yelp-2.6/yelp-2.10.0 parallel installable and write a little
wrapper program that keys off the appropriate gconf setting to launch
the correct version (which I also suggested last release cycle[2],
though this time I'm not suggesting those that want yelp 2.11 do it
but rather those who want yelp-2.6/yelp-2.10.0) Further, as we've been
releasing with yelp 2.11 so far this cycle and no one has brought up
the issue (though Shaun did try to find out if accessibility issues
were a problem and got no response[3]), I'd really hate to revert at
this late in the cycle.

Just my $0.02; others please feel free to weigh in.

Cheers,
Elijah

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2005-February/msg00100.html
[2] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2005-February/msg00064.html