Re: Release questions...

On 8/16/05, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 16:56 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
> > I have a python script that takes the current jhbuild gnome release
> > moduleset (i.e. gnome-2.12.modules for now) and automatically creates
> > a tarball version of that moduleset including dependencies (i.e.
> > gnome-2.11.91.modules and freedesktop-2.11.91.modules) and a versions
> > file (for use with the release scripts) by doing lots of searching on
> > the web for the latest tarball releases of all the relevant modules.
> > It seems to work (although I've only run 'jhbuild list' with the new
> > moduleset after removing the pyorbit dependency so I don't know if it
> > really works yet), but the problems above make the versions file
> > require some hand-editing (and I'm not sure what the right edits are
> > in some cases).
>
> Excellent work. We always wanted something like this, and we hoped to
> put the jhbuild-tarball-module-set in the release directory, so that
> people can point jhbuild directly at the URL.

Should I check in my gnome-2.11.91.modules and
freedesktop-2.11.91.modules files somewhere into cvs then (well, after
changing ftp://ftp.gnome.org urls to http://ftp.gnome.org urls as Jeff
pointed out)?  Perhaps make a releng/release-modules/ directory?  Or
make releng/release-modules/2.11.91/ directory?

Also, would it be worthwhile to place sample .jhbuildrc files at the
same place, as there are occasionally workarounds required to get
things to build--for example, for 2.11.91 I needed a couple of them
that I documented at
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/releng/tools/smoketesting/sample-tarball.jhbuildrc?rev=1.2&view=markup.
I happened to check those in with the smoketesting stuff as I figured
it might help the person making the next release...