Re: gstreamer + pygobject problem

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 12:50 AM, Christoph Reiter <reiter christoph gmail com> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 2:01 AM, Damon Lynch <damonlynch gmail com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This code to extract a frame of video works some of the time, but certainly
> not all the time:
>
> https://gist.github.com/damonlynch/630224ac1c472cb73bc17b260e3cc5fb
>
> On a large number of versions of several mainstream Linux distributions, it
> always fails at line 31, the seek operation. I've done some testing with
> various distributions, and what I find puzzling is that the success /
> failure is not necessarily tied to the version of Gstreamer / PyGObject:

I remember that there were problems with the Gst.CLOCK_TIME_NONE
constant and how that's handled with get_state some time ago, not sure
if that's still the case. Try passing "Gst.SECOND * 10" or something
instead.

I found the problem; sorry for the noise. The problem was that the libav plugin for gstreamer needs to be installed.  If that's not installed and the video's format is not recognized, the gstreamer seek_simple() call fails. Gst.CLOCK_TIME_NONE seems to be working without issues.