do we need a GI_OVERRIDES_PATH?

Hello everyone, IO hope this is the right mailing list.

I maintain an image processing library with a pygobject Python
binding, plus a set of overrides.

  http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/supported/current/doc/html/libvips/using-from-python.html

A very common install problem is that the user uses the pygobject that
came with their system, which has overrides somewhere like:

  /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides

but installs my package from source to /usr/local, so of course it
puts the overrides in:

    /usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides

and they are not found. The only solution (have I missed something?)
seems to be to copy the overrides file by hand to the system area.
This is obviously very ugly and fragile.

We have GI_TYPELIB_PATH to help the system find typelibs which are not
in the right place, should there be an equivalent for overrides?

John