Planner-list taking into account resources for task scheduling

Hello,

I am trying planner for the first time.  I'm doing a simple test that
isn't giving me the results I was expecting.  I create 2 tasks (task1 and
task2), and I create 1 resource.  I assign that resource to both tasks.
Despite that, in the Gantt view, the tasks are scheduled in parallel, as
if the resource could work on both those tasks.

I was expecting the scheduling to automatically schedule task1 THEN task2.

I know I could link the tasks, but this isn't a task dependency, so I was
hoping not to have to do it this way (I need this for real task
dependencies, not dependencies that are due to the same person working on
both tasks since that person is the implicit dependency).

I may be missing something.  Is anyone able to point me out to what it is?

Thanks,
sting