Re: GtkPerf data for GTK+ 2.6 vs GTK+ 2.10 vs Maemo-GTK+ 2.6 (on a Nokia 770)

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:15:16 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:

> And if that "Resize" column is reliable and an accurate measure of
> GTK+ performance in some sense, then it shows that GTK+ 2.10 is less
> than 10% slower than GTK+ 2.6, (at least on my system---which is an
> x86 box and obviously doesn't take any of the floating-point hit that
> people have seen on embedded platforms).
>
> I'll run a few more tests today and post those so we can get a feel
> for how stable these numbers are.

I've got three new runs available now:

http://cairographics.org/~cworth/gtk2.6_vs_2.10/20060815-2/
http://cairographics.org/~cworth/gtk2.6_vs_2.10/20060815-3/
http://cairographics.org/~cworth/gtk2.6_vs_2.10/20060815-4/

(The date stamps on these reports are for when I manually re-did the
post-processing since the original processing failed on the new blank
lines. The tests definitely did not complete in a matter of a few
seconds.)

As I suggested above, the "Resize" column does look fairly stable
across these results, usually differing by only a few percentage
points, and differing at most by 10% in the 3 tests above.

The other columns show a lot more variation, however.

For example, in the Boot column, the Clearlooks mean slowdown ranges
from as bad as 1.57 to as good as 0.57.

Similarly, in the Expose column, the Lighthouse Blue mean slowdown
is 2.04 in the -2 run but only 1.46 in the -3 run. Drilling down into
the results show the following anomalous timings for GtkFrame

Lighthouse blue expose timings
		2.6	2.10
GtkFrame-2	0.07	0.40
GtkFrame-3	0.38	0.09

http://cairographics.org/~cworth/gtk2.6_vs_2.10/20060815-2/LighthouseBlue/expose.html
http://cairographics.org/~cworth/gtk2.6_vs_2.10/20060815-3/LighthouseBlue/expose.html

So something very funny is happening there. I don't know where the
non-determinism is coming from, but a result like the above makes the
"Expose" numbers seem very un-useful.

But so far I haven't found evidence that GTK+ 2.10 is dramatically
slower than GTK+ 2.6---at least on typical desktop hardware[*].
(Though it definitely does appear to be a bit slower in general, and
rarely faster). These conclusions are based on the Resize columns in
the above results.

That the newer versions of GTK+ aren't a lot slower when drawing the
same things is good. But it's not helpful for my current goal which is
to find things which should be made faster in cairo.

So for that I'm planning on not looking in the above cases much more
myself. There aren't any obviously bad problems here. But I know we
can find some terribly slow stuff where cairo is being used more
actively by themes and applications, so I'll start doing more work in
that area.

-Carl

[*] And yes, previous results posted here do show more dramatic
slowdowns for newer versions of GTK+ on embedded systems. And I'm glad
people are now looking into fixes for some of the problems identified
there, such as heavy reliance on floating-point.

--
cworth redhat com