Re: Make'em suffer!

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 22:44:49 +0200, "Manu Cornet" wrote:
> I have been writing, with the precious help of Federico, a small
> application to benchmark and crash test GTK themes: the "GTK Theme
> Torturer" [1].

Hi Manu.

Thanks for sharing this! It looks very interesting and is just the
thing I happened to be looking for today to make some performance
measurements.

> [1] You can get a tarball at
> http://www.manucornet.net/pub/olpc/gtk-theme-torturer.tgz

It looks like that tar file is broken, (just contains a single
symlink?). But with a bit more effort, I did manage to find the code.

It would be nice to be able to collaborate on the development of the
code. One approach would be to find a central place (say, GNOME's CVS
(or is it svn now?) tree), and find someone with commit access to
that, etc. Another approach would be to use a distributed system like
git, which would look something like this:

	cd gtk-theme-torturer
	make clean
	rm *.orig
	git init-db
	git add *
	git commit -m "Initial commit of gtk-theme-torturer"

So that would be a fine git repository. There still would be the issue
of allowing others to get at the files. So it does still help to have
a "central" server at least to allow access to the file. If you're
interested in going the git route, we can definitely provide some
space on freedesktop.org for that.

But whatever tool you'd like is fine. It would just be nice to be able
to work together.

Anyway, thanks again. I hope to have some useful results from this to
be able to report soon.

-Carl