Re: [orca-list] Announcement: this mailing list will be retired by the end of Oct 2022

Dear Colomban,

Many thanks for your contribution, I like the fact that it's full of
good will.

I share the fears that have been expressed several times here. Last time
I tried Discourse, a few months ago I think, the thing that blocked me
was that I have not been able to turn on the e-mail preferences. Perhaps
I didn't do the right thing, or perhaps there has been an accessibility
issue that has been fixed since then, I don't know and shal re-try in
the coming days.

I think the things we need to be able to live with a Discourse-based
solution are:

- Creating an account must be accessible

- Configuring preferences, especially turning on delivery through
emails, must be accessible

- Being able to send a new topic by e-mail

- Being able to respond to a topic by e-mail

On the positive side, I quite like the idea of being able to receive
only the first post of each  topic. That gives a flexibility a
mailing-list does not have.

Finally, I am wondering: would it make sense to mirror what happens on
the Discourse formu on atraditional mailing-list, in both ways?

Sébastien.

Colomban Wendling via orca-list (2022/10/20 14:18 +0200):
Hello,

I've got the feeling this got a tiny bit too heated too quickly. Admittedly
I have little experience with creating *new* topics by email on Discourse,
but at the very least interacting with existing ones is quite easy -- at
least once the account is set up.  It really could be a mailing list that it
wouldn't be too different (threads works, I get individual replies as soon
as they are posted, etc.).

I think that before getting angry and setting up something new, maybe giving
it a fair shot would be good.  And I'm hopeful that if there are any
accessibility issue preventing setting up an account or subscribing to the
Orca messages, people at GNOME infrastructure will try and find a solution
-- call me crazy, but I trust they care.

If all else fails, sure, an alternative viable solution should be found, but
I have the feeling it hasn't been given a fair chance.  Yes, changing habits
is hard and annoying.  But often it's not worse once those habits are
changed, sometimes it's even better.  Hopefully Discourse doesn't fall in
the third category.

Cheers,
Colomban