Re: [orca-list] Remote Connections

hello.

indeed the nvda remote addon is a very useful thing.

as already mentioned it allows blind users to do remote control on Windows machines.

but the way how it is done makes this addon unique.

the only keyboard presses are sent to the remote machine, and only the screen reader speech (in textual form) is returned.

all of this is a plain text.

on the other hand, traditional remote control software usually transfers screen video stream from the remote system and sound in the binary form.

that's why classic remote desktop software has relatively high requirements for user's bandwidth.

also proper remote mouse control requires a low latency.

if remote protocol supports audio streaming, the quality is often not enough to work with screen reader, and sound latency may be very high.

nvda remote has very low requirements for bandwidth, I explained why.

in some cases this may be really useful.

on Linux nvr compatible solution may be used to control windows machines of other people.

in theory it may be possible with Orca.

orca has key grabbing features and it is written in python.

I think nvda remote addon in theory may be ported to Orca.

but Orca has no official plugin api yet.

there is a customization feature, but there is no any documentation about orca's internal architecture.

an other possible direction is a standalone client app, which will allow to control other machines by nvda-remote.

for this we need only an ability to fully greb the keyboard and the speech output interface.

in any case such an implementation will be very useful.