Re: [orca-list] Accessibility improvements in GNOME 42

I also tested Gnome 42, the dash still only says "window" when opened.

On Sat, Jul 9, 2022 at 6:37 PM Jason White via orca-list <orca-list gnome org> wrote:
Inspired by recent discussions, I tested GNOME 42.3 with a recent
version of Orca from Git. I used my Arch Linux system as the distribution.

I found that best results were obtained using a Wayland session. There
were bugs and limitations under X that did not occur with Wayland.
That's fine - everything is eventually migrating to Wayland anyway.

GNOME Settings (i.e., Gnome Control Center) has somewhat improved. When
it is run, the keyboard focus does not seem to be on any control at all.
The work-around that I discovered was to use Ctrl-Tab to bring focus to
the list of cateogires or to the options within each category. This is
an important keystroke to remember for navigating between components of
the user interface.

Although the tab key can be used for navigation among controls, many of
the controls are not labeled. Instead, the label is a separate item that
also appears in the tab navigation order. I expect future accessibility
efforts will resolve this issue.

GNOME-Shell is somewhat accessible, as it has been for a long time. I
didn't notice any major issues.

The configuration options in Gnome-Terminal also turned out to be quite
accessible.

Along the way, I discovered various minor problems that will need to be
addressed, but, in general, I think it's developing in the right direction.