Re: [orca-list] I got speech working in mate and heres how I did it.

It's possible you may be able to just install the espeak-ng-espeak
package as well, though forcing speech-dispatcher to use espeak-ng is
probably the better option. Installing the espeak-ng-espeak package may
solve your text mode speech problem, though I'm not sure. That could be
a different issue entirely. I'm pretty much exclusively a desktop user,
so I don't have much experience with text mode beyond installation, and
just use terminals on the desktop if I need a text mode application. So
someone else may be able to help you better than I can if you want to
use both text only and graphical consoles at once. I believe there is a
way to run fenrir from a graphical terminal if you want to try that,
but you may need to toggle off orca while you're in the terminal. This
will give you a very similar screen reader experience to a text only
console with no desktop running on it, but it runs right from your
desktop, and you should be able to run as many as you want or just put
screen or tmux into a single terminal window if that works better.
~Kyle