Re: [orca-list] Do you want to change the default Orca keyboard layout to laptop ?

I presume I'll live well enough with the change if it's made, but that will be easier if, say, the first time Orca starts it is able to tell you what the default is and how to change it if you want to.

If you were replying to my comments on what kind of laptop I'd get, what I said was that we'd get one with a number pad if possible, not that we otherwise wouldn't get one at all.  I don't want a laptop at the moment, but if I do at some point, the dweeb part of my mind might decide it's time to learn how to work on one without a number pad.  My wife, who does want a new laptop (the one she has is on life support), does not share this technical/mechanical bent.  For her, it will be a truly royal pain, not a mere nuisance, if she must focus on learning to work with fewer keys while doing some of the work she does.  So, there will doubtless be a price to pay, and we'll have to decide which is the better bargain.  (Or, though it may be a minor nuisance, maybe an external keyboard with a number pad will serve well enough.)

In any event, I've not read until now that Orca having desktop settings as the default was a problem for anybody.  (Indeed, I'd thought that it set its default by what computer it was running on, perhaps an abysmal sort of ignorance on my part.) Although I do not share the view this should change simply because a majority of folks use laptops (lots of choices for simple majorities wreak havoc on minorities), I can certainly accept and support the change if it will solve problems flr laptop users.  It makes no sense to me that anybody should have needless trouble only for my slight convenience.

Best!

Al