Re: [orca-list] Orca version: what in the world?

On 2/3/19 3:34 PM, Christopher Gilland via orca-list wrote:
If I type

orca -v

from the actual system itself, it works, and I'm given the correct build number, etc.

However, this is just nuts strange! If I try remotely while connected over SSH to issue that command, here's what I get:

chris@furrari:~$ orca -v

Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

Yes, it's looking for a display server when it starts up, and as your logged in over ssh, it won't find one. You need to be in a Graphical desktop session to run Orca.

One might argue that it should be able to report its version number without looking for a display server, but there are probably good implementation reasons why it doesn't.