Re: [orca-list] Linux full-time

Andy B. <sonfire11 gmail com> wrote:

Does anyone here use linux full-time? If so, what are your experiences with
it?

I don't use Linux full-time these days, but I have done so over a number of
years - mostly from the console, with occasional GNOME and Orca to run Firefox
or another application.

Linux has its problems, but so does everything else - and, at this point, I've
used every currently major operating system (Mac OS, Linux, Windows, iOS,
Android and Chrome OS) at one time or another, either at home or in my work
environment.

For tasks that can be performed well in the Linux console environment, there's
nothing better, and nothing more accessible with a screen reader or similar
tool. As soon as graphical user interfaces enter the scene, you'll encounter
various bugs and frustrations depending on which operating system, screen
reader and applications you use.

Nobody is investing sufficient resources into non-visual accessibility to
provide a truly high-quality user experience. For me, Apple's iOS comes close
to doing so, but, then, I'm not using it for highly demanding work. More
intensive users of iOS discover more bugs than I do. I've only used Chrome OS
a little (on a ChromeBook at work), and it seemed reliable, but note also the
problems and bug reports discussed on their mailing list.

My advice is to work out what you need to do, which tools will best suit your
needs, and to choose accordingly. Changing operating systems replaces one set
of features with another, and one set of bugs with another. Which ones you can
best live and be productive with depends on your needs. There is no general
answer at the moment.

I hope this helps.