Re: [orca-list] Fwd: Re: [Zim-wiki] another accessibility question

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 2:43 PM Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs igalia com> wrote:
Hi Jaap.

https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkWidget.html#gtk-widget-get-accessible

https://developer.gnome.org/atk/unstable/AtkObject.html#atk-object-set-name

This one is difficult I'm afraid - the "row" or "cell" is not a widget on it's own, so it doesn't expose this method. The widget is the whole GtkTreeView object. In my case I would need to set a name per row. Expect this is somehow possible through the Atk Table interface, but as I understand it now, there is only loose coupling between the Atk Table representation and the Gtk Tree representation.

In general I as a developer was not aware of the way applications are used by e.g. Orca, even though I read over the Gtk API and Gnome HIG guides a lot. Kind of hoped I could just set a hint on the treeview row, just as I can set e.g. tooltips, but this seems not supported - at least not on the Gtk interface.

That said, even if you do that, I'll still likely have to make a change
in Orca. When I made the change in Orca master to piece together cell
renderers, I noticed that when Orca finds accessible table cells whose
accessible parent is an accessible table cell, Orca looks to the
children. It does so because we *do* see multiple cell renderers, as is
done in your app, fairly often. The difference is that, in my
experience, only one renderer is exposing accessible information, which
is not the case in your app.

Making the additional change to Orca is something I plan to do. And
piecing together the content is something I've already done (though only
in master so it gets thoroughly tested). Which is a long way of saying,
thank you very, very much for your interest in this! But I believe the
user experience is already fixed for your app in Orca master, and even
if you make the change I suggest, it won't yet work in Orca stable.
So.... Do what you think makes the most sense, I guess.

Maybe in the end fixing in Orca is the better solution, hope it doesn't result in other programs falling over.  If so, I will e to look for a fix on my side.

Regards,

Jaap