Re: [orca-list] Best distro to hookup apps to Orca through atk2?

Hello Bill

Le 26/03/2017 à 01:01, Bill Cox via orca-list a écrit :
I want to modify code that talks to atk2.  I would prefer to have a
recent version of the whole accessibility stack, including orca, atk2,
and at-spi2.  I also prefer to run a popular and stable distro.  What
distro would you folks recommend?

One of the most popular distro for the regular user is Debian.

libatspi2 is too old in my Ubuntu 14.04 release, and upgrading it would
involve rebuilding and installing all of gnome.  How about Debian
testing (Debian 9)?  The Orca version is 3.22.2-2.  I can upgrade Orca
more easily than atspi2 if needed.

Debian is the most accessible distribution in my opinion. Debian has a accessibility team and includes packages for both blind (speech-dispatcher, orca, etc) and visual-impaired (compiz). The installer is accessible and the documentation about accessibility on the wiki and inside the installer manual is pretty good in my opinion.

If we test actively the development release (testing, sid) we could make the next Debian as accessible as the actual one.

Debian is the universal access system and takes accessibility into account as much as possible so I think we should help to continue to maintain the high-quality integration of the accessibility stack.

You could join the Debian accessibility team mailing list to have more details or ask us here.

Best regards.
--
Alex ARNAUD
Visual-Impairment Project Manager