Re: [orca-list] Advice from blind Linux users

Unity; gnome, or mate and cinnamon are possibilities depending on the memory footprint and hard drive space available on a particular machine. Mate and cinnamon are good for minimal spaces gnome is a hog in memory and disk space. I don't know where unity lands on the spectrum though. More work for accessibility needs doing to get mint cinnamon accessible.

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016, Sam Lay wrote:

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 05:41:35
From: Sam Lay <sam_p_lay protonmail com>
To: orca-list <orca-list gnome org>
Subject: [orca-list] Advice from blind Linux users

Hello all!

I'm interested in any advice for a blind person switching from Windows 7 and nvda to Linux and orca. I'm
interested in all recommendations but especially answers to the following:

Which desktop will work best with orca? My research indicates that unity, gnome and mate are best, while xfce
doesn't work so well. Which of these three is most highly recommended for orca?

How can I get the best results out of orca with regards to speech quality? Is it possible for sapi / nuance
Daniel to connect to orca via wine? And if so, are there step-by-step instructions anywhere to do this?

Answers to these, or any general advice about Linux for blind users, would be hugely appreciated.

Sam