Re: [orca-list] GUI Redesign or clearup and modernization

I mostly like your rant, but it's fair to say that LInux is behind in other areas besides braille, and if it
were not ahead in many areas that are
im[portant to me I'd not be using it!
And who's to say what's ahead and behind for a given user. If the one feature/function you or I or the cat
down the street needs is available on Linux,
or os2 or palm-pc or what ever that was called, or even windows, well that's perhaps the OS they should use.
If most everything is right on a given OS to meet ones needs and a few things are missing then I say try and
make the changes needed to improve the OS
you prefer.
I know Kyle that you, and others on this list do what you can to make Linux work not onbly for yourselves,
but for others, and one GREAT thing Linux has
on its side is the percentage of end users who actually have some skin in the game as it were.
Some folks edit documentation for grammar and spelling erros because they do not get the technical side of
things, others test or answer questions
posted on supp[ort lists. Some script and share their work, and those who can do more serious coding. I've
left out many other cogs in the gears that
keep Liux going, but I ask you:
Does anyone thing the percentage of windows users who do anything to help with accessibility comes close to
what we have here in the land of Pinguins?
It was much harder for the less tech savvy blink to use LInux even 5 years ago, and go back ten hyears? Well
I think we are making steady progress.
Those who are helping and get discouraged because they are part of what, maybe 5% of users who contribute,
well, in Windows world I'd guess that would
be .5 percent at most, so hang in there.
If we double our user base I bet we will see many dreams turn to reality.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Kyle wrote:
Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 11:08:48AM -0400

Sorry for the upcoming rant, but some of this nonsense I'm seeing drove
me to it.

I can still build an 8-core x86_64 computer for less money than it
currently costs to purchase even the least expensive open source
braille displays, which are still costly prototypes. Once braille
becomes as affordable as say for instance a computer monitor, then
maybe more people will have the means to code for them, and braille
won't be just for lucky blind government entitlement babies anymore.
Until then, braille is always going to be too expensive to get enough
people working on to improve it. Sorry, that's just the way it is. And
no, I didn't use braille back in the days when I had access to Windows
either, because I'm not a blind government baby who expected all the
expensive stuff to be handed to me like I'm entitled to it or
something, which is also why I use Linux now and help where I can to
raise awareness and to contribute where I can to its development and
wider usage by *all* people, not just entitlement blinks. No, Linux
isn't "catching up" as you Microsoft and Apple lovers so eloquently put
it. It's here, and it's far ahead of anything else you could be using.
So get used to it.
Sent from my Cancerian beast