Re: [orca-list] OT how to change speakup voice

Hello,

There are two ways I know of on how to make espeakup use different eSpeak voice.

- You can kill espeakup and start it from your console as follows...
espeakup -–default-voice=cs

- Or you can create a file
~/.speakup/espeakup
and put the following into that file
default_voice=cs

I don't know how espeakup is started on debian so I can't advice what to tweak to make it persistent.

On Arch linux I have copied /usr/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service into /etc/systemd/system/espeakup.service Then I have modified ExecStart line inside that file to include --default-voice parameter, Finally I have refreshed systemd services and recreated the simlinks needed to start it on boot.
sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl disable espeakup
sudo systemctl enable espeakup
sudo systemctl restart espeakup

P.S. speakup is not fully utf-8 aware so reading central european languages with some cli apps is not verry usefull with this setup. It's nice for basic system administration and / or rescue though.

Greetings

Peter