Re: [orca-list] Accessibility of Audacity?

hi
Audacity is supposed to be very accessible. There are some very hairy
issues that can be tracked back to the gui toolkit they use, that is,
the program they use to build the user interface. They use wx widgets,
which has some pretty weird issues on linux and mac platforms, but not
on windows. Lists are not presented to orca, and some of audacity's
controlls, particularly in the silence properties dialog box, aren't
focusable. Joanie has said she can't fix these, that they need fixing
in wx widgets itself, but i've had little luck getting anyone to do
it. There's an open bug filed against  it, if you want I can try to
find a link. I suspect the wx people will simply tell us to "use
windows, it just works", but no idea. All I know is it hasn't been
fixed. Other people on here use audacity a lot more than I do, and
they tell me it's really accessible. It does have a few issues, but no
show stoppers that I know of.
Thanks
Kendell clark

Jann Schneider wrote:
Hi all!

i'm just wondering if anyone in here has some experiences using
audacity with orca. I just did a 'smoke test' and found that it
seems to be fairly accessible! Pretty cool :-) Only thing i
currently didn't get any information about was the track list. I
guess it's a kind of list or table.

So if anybody has some hints about how to get this track list
accessible too, i'd really apreciate it..

btw. what audio editors do you use with orca? Any suggestions?
Maybe i'm just wasting my time because there is allready something
more accessible or more useful in combination with Orca? I just
tested audacity as a first shot in order to find an application to
record and edit audio on multiple tracks. Just picked audacity for
testing because it seems to be  a popular software for this
purposes but i'm just getting started with this audio editing stuff
on the computer...

thanks in advance. Jann