Re: [orca-list] playing videos in ubuntu

I beg to differ regarding a large percentage of drug laws, and that includes alcahol related ones, but
speeding is something that obviously is at least
as likely to impact someone else as the speeder, and even if the speeder is only on the highway with a cop
who stops her or him they are putting that
cop in danger. All of the things being discussed are OT however, so I, just as a list member and occasional
poster, (I am not any kind of a moderator),
would ask that this conversation be closed.
I mentioned the OT nature of the conversation, both the initial topic, and especially the moral questions
being discussed in most of the follow up
messages before. Now Iam directly  asking that all of us, (me too...smile), post our thoughts somewhere else
if we wish to talk about this more.
Regards,

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Josh K wrote:
Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 01:30:23PM -0500

I highly doubt I would get fined or put in jail for using ubuntu to play
encrypted dvds. Just like I bought eloquence for window-eyes, and I also
bought it for android. but yet it is still illegal for me to use it with
NVDA? How dumb is that license agreement and that law. I bought the software
twice maybe 3 times over. and yet they can still come into my house and tell
me what I can and cannot use the eloquence software with? Laws about drugs,
and speeding on highways and such are reasonable. most license agreements
including freedom scientific's highly restrictive authorization keys, and
other forms of drm are not or do not fall under the category as being
reasonable laws. I bought the software, let me use it with what ever I want,
when I want. Am I hurting anyone? no. Are people losing money? no. am I
profiting off of their work by selling their product or reselling without
permission? no. Is anyone being injured or are dead, hurt, can they still
feed themselves and their families? yes I'd say so. People cracking jaws if
necessary, or using NVDA or free desktop linux distros which in the longrun
makes computers themselves run faster and be happier, in a third world
country such accessibility could mean you have a job or you don't have a
job. Orca, NVDA, or the $1300 jaws screen reader if needed. To deny someone
living in Africa or India or some other developing country the necessary
tools even if it is a cracked copy of jaws if they find they need such a
thing, to deny someone opportunities because they can't afford to pay for
the software is not right at all. If NVDA and orca works all the better.
it's free. The assistive tech companies are not selling to you and me
anyway, they sell to the government agencies such as blindness and visual
services in the united states or they sell to the RNIB in the UK. Jaws is
not really a product for the consumer to purchase by his or herself. and I'm
glad we have Orca and NVDA and Ubuntu and arch and the free desktops and
screen readers and applications. If this laptop broke right now I could go
out to newegg and for $139 or so maybe less get a laptop and put ubuntu mate
on it. then add some ppa's to keep my desired apps up to date. and if I
really needed itunes or some proprietary windows stuff I could use wine or
run it in an xp vm.

follow me on twitter @joshknnd1982