Re: [orca-list] antivirus

There is actually more Lilnux malware than most people relize, but yes, we are talking a couple of magnitudes
difference compared with Windows at least,
probably more like 3 magnitudes of difference, and it is more likely aquired  in pointed attacks, e.g.
somekind of phishing or the like than as
sneakilyl imbedded code on a ligit website or similar.
That being said, there are malware kits that test for OS and install payloads that are OS specific, and uyes,
one of those payloads is sometimes for
Linux.
A Very dangerous Linux rootkit was just discovered as well.
That last one was installing classic ddos bot nets and the like, not trying to steal personal or org critical
data at this point, but could easily be
doing other things not yet traced, or morph in to something more sinister.
Again, in general we still can feel quite safe, but everything is relative, and if you are one of a few
infected machines you probablyl do not care if
there are millions more like you,. or just a few thousand...lol
Regards,

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Jason White wrote:
Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 06:21:05PM -0500

Glenn / Lenny <glennervin cableone net> wrote:
I am looking into an antivirus program to install, and I am hoping to find
out if anyone knows which ones if any work well with Orca.
I plan on being able to scan drives I plug into the computer.

Be aware that there are no Linux viruses circulating in the wild, and if there
were any, the underlying security issue would be solved quickly.

Clamav is indeed the tool to use, but the only purpose in running it is to
look for Microsoft Windows viruses. If you plan to connect those drives to
Microsoft Windows, then you should indeed scan them for viruses, but if you're
going to connect them only to Linux, there's no point. Windows viruses can't
affect a Linux system.