Re: [orca-list] most accessible desktop with orca

Mate is basically gnome2 just updated to use newer stuff under the hood and to have good compatibility with
current standards.
I do not understand how you say you got gnome shell when you installed it.
You will not have accessible panels with lxde and xfce, so no sys trayish stuff, indicators or applets, but
you will get gnome2 style applications
menus.
If panel was accessible I'd use XFCE, but it's not, and as I've said here, and I think to you off list no
work is being done to fix the accessiblity
issues as far as I know. I've not talked to devs in some months, but I think they'd hit a wall, and until
someone steps up to help them they will
probably not be making anything more speech friendly.
Gnome is very access,ble, but I can see how you might not like it. Many people do, many others do not, and it
is very different both in practice and
theory than interfaces like gnome2, XFCE or Mate.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Don Raikes wrote:
Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 04:28:23PM -0800

   Hello,

   I am attempting to build an accessible version of kalilinux (a derivative
   of debian jesse).

   I have the optio of using gnome, mate, xfce, or lxde as my desktop
   manager.

   When I build the image with the gnome desktop it is using gnome3 and the
   gnome-shell is not very accessible.

   If I build with the mate desktop, I got the gnome-shell again.

   I haven’t tried either xfce or lxde yet.

   My question is which desktop is most usable with orca?  I personally liked
   the gnome2 desktop and was comfortable with it, but when I generate the
   gnome image even if I am able to pick between gnome and gnome-classic and
   choose gnome classic it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

   TIA,

   Donald