Re: [orca-list] a few questions

There are many posts on this list comparing mate and gnome, so I'd recommend reading the archives rather than
people spending their time rewriting the
same things that have already been said 2, 3 or 5 times.

Both are very good, and in a couple of words the difference is that mate is an old school menudriven
environment which uses some whate less memory and
quite a bit less cpu in certain situations while gnome is search driven, i.le. type the first few letters for
a program till it appears alone or in a
list of options that share those letters yhou've typed in their names or some keyword instead of looking for
it in a menu list.
I use keyboard shortcuts to launch the programs I most use, so it hardly matters which  desktop I'm using
much of the time except for on less than very
fast computers with plenty of memory lighter is better.
As far as  the speakup issue with pulse it is easy to deal with.
Open a terminal and start espeakup, (or speechd-up in the case you are using that), with sudo
sudo espeakup
If it was autostarted by systemd then yuou will need to kill that off first or disable it it.
I auto start espeakup with a script that looks something like this.
#!/bin/bash

gksudo systemctl stop espeakup user service
gksudo espeakup
exit=0
Depending on your system you may need to add sleep lines of from 1 to 5 seconds, either before killing off
the systemd process, or between that and
starting the new espeakup process.
Probably better is to do
sudo systemctl disable espeakup.service
or if you have it running as a user service
sudo systemctl disable espeakup user service
  It will be running as a system service if you use the standard espeakup package for all distros as far as I
know, but have not had a debian box since
systemd has come in to the picture.
If you are not using systemd then probably just starting the new espeakup with gksudo is all you need to do.
Depending on your distro and desktop you may want a .desktop file to start the script mentioned above so you
can more easily run it in some contexts,
e.g. you can put the .desktop file in your user's autostart directory, probably ~/.config/autostart.
Another alternative is logging in to a console first and starting the GUI from there with startx. That way
you should be just  fine, and working faster
if you do alot in the console. You need to kill speakup for the console where you will run the GUI though or
you will not be able to work for constant
interuptions from alertsw sent to the console that are spoken by speakup.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Mike and Jenna wrote:
Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 01:30:40PM -0400

Hi,

I have taken a break from Linux but have always used debian. Now I am
getting back into along with my wife with the goal of switching from windows
to Linux full time. We are going to stick with debian as we like what it
offers but my questions are which is better mate or gnome to use. I would
like so pros and cons if possible. What programs do you think are a must and
why? Also when I install gnome cause it uses pulse speakup stops working is
there a good way to fix this?