Re: [orca-list] Experimental focus versus browse mode committed to master

Hello,
On 09.08.2014 at 19:01 Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
In order to be able to consistently focus gmail message list, have auto
focus mode kicking in like it should, please try to press the enter key
on either of the gmail labels e.g. inbox, outbox, all messages etc.
Is this a request for something you want me to change in Orca? Or is it
a tip for users? If it is a request for me, I need to you be more clear.
On what exactly you want me to do/change.
I think this is just a tip for me and other people interested. If you navigate in gmail using by repeatedly pressing the tab key to pass over all the controls you are able to focus individual tabs such as main, social networks .. etc. After all these tabs there is a button saying something like choose which tabs to display. When this button is focused pressing the tab key one more time causes the focus to jump to the list of messages. While this part is navigated to with orca for the first time gmail is loaded orca wil not automatically report that control properly. However when activating one of the label links such as inbox, drafts, sent etc it will be focused and reported correctly. I don't think something needs changing in orca here. This is just an extended description of what I think is happening.
see the point. I don't know what aria markup this control has however as
soon as conversation is expanded this gets automagically announced on
windows with NVDA. Is it worth making a leson out of this as well?
I haven't found this yet. I'll keep looking. But steps to reproduce
(load this page, press Tab 3 times, etc., etc.) would make things quicker.
Okay here are the steps:
- Load gmail,
- focus the list of conversations,
- select a conversation you like and activate it by pressing the enter key,
- When the page loads press alt+d to go to the address bar,
- press the tab key several times until you get something like basic html mode,
- Now press down arrow once and examine the text you have just landed on.
I assume this control has kind of special aria markup because with NVDA on windows it's being reported automagically when the conversation window loads. Initially I did not take this into account and reported it as a possible issue. Now I am noticing everytime a page finishes loading in firefox my live region politeness always resets to off. I don't know whether I am doing something wrong but I can't get live region reporting to work. It means I can't verify this.
I am still looking at gmail. While tabbing around with NVDA and Firefox
on windows I can notice many buttons, links and various other elements
to be either collapsed or expanded. At the top there is a link saying
using gmail with your screen reader or something to that effect.
Expanded state is now presented for expandable links.
Yes it's like I have imagined it to. Thanks
Description is another property we may wish to anounce as part of the
control reporting.
Descriptions, when present, are now automatically presented for Gecko
content.
Yes this is something that will help on many sites I believe. Thanks for adding it.

Greetings

Peter