Re: [orca-list] Problem running orca

Do you still only have Python 2.7 installed?  I have no direct experience with this, so someone with experience should verify this suggestion.  I thought the latest version of orca that did not require Python 3 was orca 3.5.9.  This would mean that either you need to downgrade to orca 3.5.9 or install python 3.

*Don Marang*
Vinux Package Development Coordinator - vinuxproject.org <http://www.vinuxproject.org/>

On 3/3/2013 6:48 PM, Jean-Philippe MENGUAL wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try investigating on my problem, and as I don't find anything, I tried
> analyzing the error on a semantic point of view. Note I upgraded orca to 3.7.1.
>
> If I understand:
> Could not locate wnck_screen_get_default: (null)
>
> Indeed, wnck_screen_get_default is designed to contain a real window manager.
> null isn't correct. Does it mean orca depends on the desktop manager? What
> should this function contain or render? I read "WMEH spec". But what desktops
> have this spec and is it mandatory?
>
> What could send or receive this function to read windows such as OOo or firefox?
> Can I rename openbox in null or change anything to lead orca to work, ia*a run,
> open its setting' window and read apps it's able to read (i.e. not xterm, but
> at least other gtk apps). Yes, I want to disassemble orca and the desktop
> manager. Isn't possible?
>
> Finally, what kind of desktop manager /ould be accepted, without installing all
> a DE such as xfce or gnome?
>
> Thanks for your info.
>
> Regards,
>
> JP
>
> On Sunday 03 Mar 2013 à 16:53:28 (+0100), Jean-Philippe MENGUAL wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> So I tried exporting both variables. I remember now that I used them too on
>> Debian. Unfortunately, I still have the same behavior: the error I mentioned
>> and orca freezing. I get:
>> gi._glib.GError: Could not locate wnck_screen_get_default: (null)
>>
>> I did:
>> export GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge
>> export SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN="gtk"
>> startx
>>
>> But as you mention I'm sure orca can work without DE (I hope). I don't expect to
>> access to xterm, but rather to see "Xterm Inaccessible" and alt-tab, read the
>> orca /indow, or firefox, or OOo.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> JPM
>>
>> On Saturday 02 Mar 2013 à 23:46:31 (-0500), Bill Dengler wrote:

Yes, orca should work without a DE.
Try those commands.

Bill