Re: [orca-list] working with skype

I assume your question was purely rhetorical. If current free solutions were really competitive, nobody would bother with Skype.

In the interest of making this a constructive exchange, lets look at the options we have to avoid Skype:

I know about SIP via Ekiga. However, when I tried it, despite how simple and accessible it looked, I was not able to make a call even after registering at the Ekiga site for a SIP account.

Do you know if such difficulties are tipical or I just tried on a bad server day for them?

Another interesting choice is the XMPP or Jabber protocol, which can be easily accessed via Pidgin. Can you recommend a service that allows us to register and get an account?

I used to use it via GoogleTalk, but now this company is moving away from open standards and their principles. They announced that they will no longer support XMPP. So ideally, we need to find alternative hosting for XMPP messaging, including voice chat.

Any guidance is most welcome.

Fernando