[orca-list] Espeak low fidelity on Linux?

Hello,

I've been using espeak (English default voice) with NVDA on Windows
for years.  Over the past couple years I've tried several Linux
distributions, but in all of them espeak's speech output (from Orca or
with the 'espeak' command line utility) is not nearly as clear as it
is in NVDA.  It seems to be lower fidelity and makes it harder to
understand, especially at higher speeds.  Any ideas on how I could
improve the quality?  Other sounds such as music in Linux sound
similar to Windows, and I've tried on more than one computer.

Thanks.

Daniel