Re: [orca-list] You all're gonna think I'm stupid, but, I need help with Gnome-Speech

So what are you saying? How are you defining better? Are you just
looking at the list of supported synthesizers? What about the cost to
maintain the code or port it over to use a different IPC mechanism?

I wasn't involved in the decision, but I'm sure it wasn't made lightly.
I don't know all of the issues facing the developers, but given how
precious development resources are and given how many issues there are
to solve, it isn't clear to me that they made the wrong decision in
choosing to spend developer hours elsewhere.

It's easy to say a package shouldn't be deprecated until there's another
package to replace it with strictly a superset of features, but it's
seldom that easy. Similar packages frequently have their own strengths
and weaknesses, and it's often a choice of maximizing the benefits while
minimizing the negatives.

I don't have a problem with your opinion or your right to be upset, and
maybe the wrong decision was made in this case. I just don't think the
issue is as easy as you make it out to seem or that the people who made
the decision were necessarily doing anything other than what they
thought was the right thing at the time. You make it sound like it was
so black and white, but as with any complex project, I suspect it was
more shades of Grey and a lot of tough decisions have to be made.

BTW, in my previous job, where primarily commercial and proprietary
software was being used, it was rare that a new tool was rolled out to
replace another tool where there wasn't some serious short comings in
some areas. It was frequently the case that we were trading off things
like cost of maintenance over a few features or areas of ease of use, so
it isn't true at all that this is an open source issue. This issue
exists wherever you have more features to implement than you have
resources to deliver.

There's also nothing stopping a company from paying Canonical or some
other company to support Ubuntu or add specific features to it. That's
the beauty of open source. Try paying a company putting out a
proprietary OS to support or add a specific feature. I think you'll find
this is a lot more possible and cheaper with Linux, so I don't thing
this one example of yours is a reason why Linux will never be mainstream.