Re: [orca-list] Fedora, SELinux, and Orca

I have not seen this, Robert.I am currently writing you from a machine
where Fedora's selinux implementation is set to "enforcing," and I see
absolutely no degradation. In fact, I prefer to run with the extra
security of selinux. I only ever turn it off when I'm having trouble
getting some newly installed applicatin or module to work correctly, and
haven't the time to work through selinux' debugging.

Note that the logs in /var/log/messages provide significant information
about tuning selinux, where needed. They even give you commands to run
to help speed you on your way.

Janina

Robert Cole writes:
Hello, everyone.

I am definitely a novice when it comes to SELinux. I have noticed
over the past months that when SELinux is active, Orca seems much
less responsive. I do not know how to demonstrate this or in which
log files I would need to look for answers as to why this is, but it
seems like maybe the SELinux policy may be slightly biased against
Orca and the different technologies which it uses (e.g. AT-SPI and
friends). I disabled SELinux, restarted my system, and Orca is
simply magnificent!

Now, I may not need SELinux enabled at all, but if I was, say,
working for a company which utilized it then it would definitely be
an issue. I am sure this is more a SELinux issue than anything. I am
going to do some research to find log files and so forth to see what
has been going on, but what exactly should I look for? I know that
whenever I would start Orca, I would receive a message from SEAlert
having to do with ldconfig trying to access something. Whether these
two are related or not I have no idea.

Any insight on this?

Thanks for any help which can be provided.

Take care.