Re: [orca-list] Unable to use Firefox 7 or 8

Luke Yelavich writes:
On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 02:30:32PM EST, Jason White wrote:
Jason White <jason jasonjgw net> wrote:

It's probably the known bug whereby the new mechanism for activating
accessibility support isn't recognized by Firefox. You have to set certain
environment variables, but I'm having trouble finding the mailing list message
that tells me what the settings must be.

I found it. The advice was to run Firefox with GNOME_ACCESSIBILITY=1 in your
environment.

A more permanent solution is to set the /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility key to true, in a terminal
like so:

gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility true

And, I even had an old script lyeing around for checking and setting
this, courtessy of the old Sun Micro ...

<BEGIN CODE>
#!/bin/sh

if test $# -eq 0
        then gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility
fi

if test $# -eq 1
        then if test $1 = on -o $1 = true
                then gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility \
                                 -t bool true
        elif test $1 = off -o $1 = false
                then gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility \
                                 -t bool false
        else echo gnome-accessibility: unknown command $1
        fi
fi
<END CODE>

Embarrasing to forget the basics!