Re: [orca-list] Because Orca supports Webkit-GTK toolkit, future possible using alternative web browsers, for example Epiphany-browser?

Hi Attila.

Because Orca begin supports Webkit-GTK, future for example possible
using alternative web browsers, for example Epiphany-browser?

That's been the plan all along. <smile>

I think
this browser is webkit-gtk based, but I am not full sure this.

No, you are correct. Epiphany switched from Gecko to WebKitGtk a few release cycles ago.

Or this task require longer time, for example supporting structural
navigation with webkit-GTK based browsers?

Structural Navigation was already done and working. However, whilst I was working on adding initial support for Yelp 3.0 last weekend, I noticed that Structural Navigation in Epiphany for Natty was no longer working 100% of the time. Investigating what happened there is on my to-do list for today or tomorrow. But that's a long way of saying, essentially, the task will not require much time because I already implemented it. <smile>

You should also find that caret navigation works and is performant. And this is because we didn't implement it in Orca; it's implemented on the WebKitGtk side of things. Note that to have Home and End, Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End working, you'll need a fairly-recent WebKitGtk built from source. Natty doesn't seem to have that functionality included yet.

Related to this, while there are currently some strange quirks with text selection -- which I need to dig into -- soon you should find that text selection just works (and is properly announced, and is indicated in braille).

The label guess functionality (which is about to be called label infer) needs to be pulled out of Gecko and made available to all scripts in Orca. Then form fields in Epiphany should work.

The above things are all things on my to-do list -- and things which I am about to do. Dealing with the unresponsiveness issues that resulted from the recent refactor took priority, of course. Anyhoo, some of these changes will come as simple commits to the existing WebKitGtk and/or Epiphany scripts already in Orca; some of them will come as part of Flag Day refactors. I expect to have it all done as part of the Orca 3.0 release.

Please note that all of the above applies to basic content in Epiphany; not more complicated documents, nor ARIA/web apps. However, making these things more accessible is something that I'm beginning to work with Mario Sanchez (WebKitGtk a11y developer) on.

Before too much longer -- but not quite yet -- I will hopefully be able to say, "Please start testing Epiphany with Orca in Natty." So stay tuned for that announcement!

Take care.
--joanie