Re: [orca-list] ibm voices

Justin Harford <blindstein gmail com> wrote:

Okay well I think I might be able to work out single user mode. But I am
pretty sure that the software was an installer. I assume that if it were a
package I could remove it with

apt-get remove

Better apt-get purge just to make sure all its configuration files are removed
as well. Purge removes everything, including configuration files. Remove
leaves the configuration files in place.

right? But either way I am looking at the harder road in this situation, and
doubt if I have the technological knowhow to troubleshoot it.

It's best to acquire such knowledge before running installation scripts as
root that might not be up to date or reliable. Unless the vendor specifically
supports your distribution (and the correct version of it), it's safe to
assume that the software might not install or run correctly. Alternatively,
try it first on a test system (for example under a virtual machine if you
don't have real hardware to spare).

With a little work, you should be able to use the find command to locate the
files that were modified by the installer; I'd start by using modification
time as my search criterion and narrow it down from there. Then I'd remove the
files. If any configuration files were changed, I'd examine them and try to
work out what was going on.