Re: [orca-list] scope of this lis

Hi All.

I agree with Glenn on this point. I'm a moderator over on the vinux support and development lists. while we try to keep things vinux related, sometimes users will discuss windows related accessibility with linux in mind because some of them want to switch, or find an alternative to the windows software they love so much. the same applies to mac. we've also had people discussing android. we could take 2 approaches to the problem. moderate the list and complain that our blood pressure is rizing as moderators trying to moderate out the crap, then ban people like they do on the jaws list. or simply let users discuss topics as long as they don't get out of hand and too off topic, and as long as subjects are relevant. the latter is the logical approach and users feel welcome and encouraged to use gnu/linux, even if they're not using vinux.

I agree that on lists such as the orca list and jaws list, moderators do have to take a stand when it comes to keeping things more on topic, but sometimes its simpler just to let people ask their questions and if they can't obtain the answer from the orca list, to send them elsewhere. on the jaws list, they just ban you if you go slightly off topic and that puts a fair few users off. My point is that new users can very easily feel intimidated and can be put off by someone sounding negative if unintentionally.

I think you guys are doing a great job, keep up the excellent work and i'd like to thank the mods for not banning people when things get a little OT. a forum you may wish to recommend to people is at:

http://www.vitektalk.com/

All the best,

Mo.