Re: [orca-list] Orca: Support for Multilingual text

Hi,
On Mo, Jul 19, 2010 at 09:09:46 +0200, Tomas Cerha wrote:
Bill Cox wrote:
On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Trevor Saunders
<trev saunders gmail com> wrote:
 As has been discused previously I think generalized voice profiles
are better than language profiles, the only real difference being that
you could have different profiles for the same language.

Sounds good to me.

Yes, that's a logical extension of the same idea.

As for auto detection I'd be willing to consider choosing based on
char set, but I don't much like huristics beyond that.

I believe that's what voiceman does, and users seem to really like it,
so I'd say this would be a worthwhile enhancement.

It is a worthwhile enhancement, however I don't think it is the primary problem.  I've
seen many discussions on this topic ending up concentrating just on this issue.  What we
need first is the support for switching the languages.  Whether we later develop
techniques to control it automatically is the next step, so let's not get stuck on it again.

the primary problem is that orca produces output regarding to selected
system locale.
Before thinking howto detect and do other stuff with synth's language
switching this that should changed.
I am not sure that can be solved cleanly. Sure we need gettext support
for translations.

The best way to solve this would be in speech-dispatcher itself.
It should offer functions to screenreaders to output language specific
keys, punctuations etc.
Orca should not care about verbalizing these things.
after that is implemented, it would be enough to add a simple language
switching key-command to orca.

How to detect the textlanguage etc is the _latest_ step while adding
these features.
Just my two cents.
BR.
halim