Re: [orca-list] Using Linux for everyday computing tasks and employment

On Thu, 2010-01-14 at 14:48 +0000, James & Nash wrote:
Hi list,

I'm just curious, but how many of you use Orca and your favoured Linux distro for everyday use and also for
employment purposes?

I use it full-time for my work.
I do my regular office work, internet surffing, emails and programming.
I do chat from pidgin and also use twitter.  I have to problems using
movieplayer.
I know many blind people in India do the same specially in the southern
part of the country, where I myself initiated a couple of big projects/

The reason I am asking is because for me I think that Linux would be more of a hobby than a serious
computing platform at least for the moment.

No way!  I lthink windows is a hobby for me (I don't even consider it
worth that).
In india the overall situation is that use of Linux, specially after the
advent of user friendly distros like Ubuntu and Fedora has increased
drastically.
So in a few years for blind people not knowing linux will be counter
productive in terms of employment.

And one last tip,  See what works for you and not what many people use.

For example in the markets of Mumbai (india) the transent pen drives are
extremly popular, But I had very good experience with kingston.
Another example,
My father does share trading in stock market and there is a commertial
news channel dedicated for the same.  There is another news channel
which gives hourly updates on stock market.  But for him every minit
update is necessary.  Now, the channel he sees is really not so popular
but it serves his need and noth the popular one.

SO guess you got the point.

Happy hacking.

Krishnakant.