Re: [orca-list] More structural navigation thoughts

Hey Javier.

One of recently tasks that in Junta de Andalucia local goverment
project with Orca, is to configure Orca similar to JAWs mainly in the
keybinding part. So many users that currently work with JAWS, can use
Orca with no problem and don't need to learn another keybindings

Yeah, about that.... I think it's important -- or perhaps "essential"
would be a better word -- that we don't do anything that causes users to
conclude that Orca is a JAWS clone because that is likely to confuse
them more than help them.

The GNOME Desktop is not Windows. Orca is not JAWS. There are a number
of design decisions that were made in Orca (flat review and presentation
of web content for instance) which are very different from the design
decisions that were made in JAWS. I know you know this, but I think it's
something worth repeating for the following reason:

If you get the user in the mindset of "I'm in JAWS mode," the focus goes
from "How do I accomplish this task?" to "Why isn't this working like
JAWS?". Thinking about the task being performed and the desired outcome
facilitates true mastery of the concepts and skills needed to become a
competent, independent user. This is what we want. Thinking about the
differences between screen readers redirects the user's attention away
from the task at hand. And in doing so it interferes with learning. It
might also lead to frustration because time and time again the user is
confronted with unexpected, non-JAWS-like behavior.

To extend an admittedly overused metaphor, if you hand an orange to
someone who's never seen an orange before and say, "It's like an apple",
that person is likely going to take a big bite of peel think that
oranges are flawed. Instead, wouldn't it be better to say, "It's fruit.
Let me show you how you eat it."? Similarly, rather than having a goal
of creating a "JAWS mode" wouldn't it have been better to focus on
creating additional documentation and tutorials so that all users
(regardless of previous screen reader experience) can learn how to use
Orca?

One of the biggest problems in Orca is performance. Some of that is
undoubtedly Orca's fault (e.g. always doing braille tasks even for
non-braille users). And some of that seems to be in AT-SPI, etc. Which
do you think would have the most impact for users: A "JAWS mode," or
hunting down and fixing these performance problems? My money would be on
the latter. (No pun intended.) Plus, hunting down performance problems
doesn't require a familiarity with screen readers and the needs of users
who are blind; creating new features and making UI changes does.

Don't get me wrong: I am thrilled that the Spanish government believes
Orca is worth investing in -- I happen to agree. :-) Spain is setting a
great example which I can only hope other countries will follow. I am
also not opposed having keybindings which follow the conventions of
other screen readers (e.g. the recent structural navigation changes). I
just wish that there had been more communication about how to best
improve the Orca experience.

For what it's worth....

Take care.
--joanie