[orca-list] Some of my thoughts about what has been difficult for getting into orca development and orca scripting

Hello,
I said I had some further comments which belonged in their own thread which Joannie's interview raised. The one issue of getting people involved in writing scripts or may be as developers. I did try some time ago to get involved more technically with orca but got a little overwhelmed with it and where to really get going. The thing is there seems to be a bit of this step from reading docs on python and at-spi, etc (thanks Willie for those useful links, they did help), to actually working with the orca code. An example of what I got stuck with was if looking through the bugs in bugzilla, which may be easy to solve and which may be a bit too hard for someone just picking up orca code, is there any way we could be pointed to that low hanging fruit to get started? As for getting going with scripting, is there anything to help guide us through that (eg. a tutorial with example applications to script).

While thinking of documentation, I seem to remember the commercial windows offerings push the manuals much more at the user with information on how to make the customisations, I don't find orca that way. What I mean by this is, I understand the orca wiki (http://live.gnome.org/Orca) as the main place to start looking, I don't think there is a link for the orca manual there.

Hope that helps give some view of what might help. I am sure there is some stuff I could do in that lot as well.

Michael Whapples