Re: [orca-list] Help write Orca docs

On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 12:43 -0400, Willie Walker wrote:
Hi All:
HI Wil.
I need some help with documentation.

Each new Orca user usually ends up asking similar questions, some of
them more general to GNOME (e.g., "what e-mail clients work", "how do I
switch between windows using the keyboard") and others more specific to
Orca (e.g., "What is the keyboard command for x").
Agreed.
I keep getting these questions commonly.
Infact all of the above questions had been a big concern to a group of
trainners in my recent workshop in Malaysia  And I think they are right
in their way.

What I'm looking for is adjusting the documentation to help the brand
new user quickly get up and running with GNOME and Orca.  Right now,
some users come into Orca with the preconceived notion that Orca is JAWS
for GNOME.  This flawed assumption immediately builds a foundation for
failure.
Exactly.

So, I want help.  Recalling from your experiences with getting started
with Orca, I'm curious about:

1) Where did you expect to find documentation (e.g., somewhere on the
web, built in to the desktop, etc.)?
I would recommend having it built-in with the desktop.
Imagine for example, I go to rural parts of India and recently been
invited to some rural areas in other developing countries.   I have seen
that internet is not always available to such users.
2) What is missing from the documentation or difficult to find that
would have made it a lot easier to get started with Orca and GNOME?
That's an interesting question.  Personally I feel that nothing as such is missing seriously.
What is missing is a good structure of the manual.
We can easily anticipate what a user generally likes to read.  We can
easily understand this by looking at how user learned to use other
screen readers.
3) What stuff in the documentation is misleading or confusing?

4) Can you help write the docs?  I'm looking for one or two good writers
than can donate some time to the project.
If its a wiki, I would like to help out.  But again my strong suggestion is to have an off-line copy of the
manual into the desktop or orca itself.

An example of success from this documentation effort would be enabling a
user on Windows to migrate quickly to the GNOME platform with Orca.

You can even write to mee off-list so that we can discuss.
I tryed making audio tutorials but seems that people like to read more
than listen.
So having textual manuals seems to be the way to go.

Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.