Re: [orca-list] Strange orca behavior.

Michael Whapples <mwhapples aim com> wrote:

As far as your questions about distros, I have to say that ubuntu seems
to get alot of messages posted about people having trouble with it. I
don't know whether this is a reflection on it or if it is simply that
ubuntu pushes itself towards newcomers and so having so many newcomers
there are more people to find problems they can't find the answer
themselves. Anyway as I don't use ubuntu I will keep my own oppinion to
myself and leave others to make up their own minds on ubuntu.

Well said.

As for question of most stable distro, the decission is possibly more
complicated than that. Debian stable goes through alot of checks before
its released, and so is very stable, but as a consequence software in
debian stable tends to be quite old (eg. debian stable is on gnome
2.22). However if you are prepared to put up with some potential bugs
and such like then debian unstable has gnome 2.26. If you know how to
manage a debian unstable system it can be very useable and you shouldn't
have too many problems (eg. I can have my computer on all day and never
need to restart gnome or even orca).

I have had the same experience with Debian. Although Ubuntu is based on
Debian, there are major differences between the two, especially in Gnome and
other desktop-related packages.

If Debian Unstable lives up to its name too much for your liking - which, in
my experience, it mostly does not - you can also install Debian Testing, which
is midway between the Stable and Unstable distributions. Packages enter
Testing after they have been in Unstable for several weeks, provided that no
serious bugs have been reported against them.