Re: [orca-list] Keeping your orca git tree up to date.

Steve Holmes <steve holmes88 gmail com> wrote:

The main reason I brought git up at all is that I'm having trouble
getting the latest versions of Orca for proper testing.  Apparently
git-pull does not work for git on the gnome site though it does work
elsewhere.  I guess I'll try Luke's two step process and if that
doesn't work, I guess I will have to do a git-clone and replace the
whole archive each time I wanna update.

Are you sure you aren't modifying any of the files tracked by Git before
running git pull?

I am not familiar with the details of the Orca compilation process, but it is
possible that it might touch some of the files that Git is tracking, causing
problems with merging later when you run git pull.

As I read the manual page, git pull should do exactly what you want, namely,
retrieve the latest changes and merge them into your working source tree. It
actually merges them, thus preserving any changes that you have made, unless
there are merge conflicts, in which case, errors should be issued.