Re: [orca-list] inftyreader

As far as I know there is no Linux alternative for OCR on mathematical documents. Whether any of the general OCR systems for linux would be willing to try and spend time on adding maths support I don't know (I would guess not, as although inftyreader is said to work reasonably well it still has its moments where it can't do it). Below is a list of some of the OCR systems for linux, you may wish to ask the authors of those whether they would be willing to look at math support.

Cuneiform http://launchpad.net/cuneiform-linux I feel cuneiform gives the best results on general documents for me. The things I don't like about it include, its unable to correct page orientation automatically and sometimes if I put the blank side of the page on the scanner by mistake then cuneiform will crash very ungracefully and dump you back at the bash prompt. Tesseract http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr I haven't had quite the success people seem to be claiming with this and may be that's why I go for cuneiform. If the accuracy people report is correct then it seems to be reasonable. Also it has been opensource longer (I think) and other projects do make use of it more than cuneiform (eg. gscan2pdf). Ocrad http://www.gnu.org/software/ocrad/ocrad.html This is the OCR software I used before I found cuneiform. Its enough to read things, but sometimes you get unusual output. I chose it over GOCR (mentioned below) for no significant reason, I think it was that it had less options and so seemed easier to use. GOCR http://jocr.sourceforge.net (that's right jocr is the sourceforge name, I believe this difference is due to a conflict with another sourceforge project name). This is a very widely used opensource OCR system (supported by gscan2pdf, and I am sure plenty of other packages). Plenty of options to tweak, possibly too many for someone not sure on what to modify.

Any way that's a brief list of opensource OCR for linux. As OCR is not really an issue relating to orca, it may be seen as off topic and so may be in future other lists may be more relevant (eg. the NFB blindmath may have been a good place for asking about linux alternatives for inftyreader, as I assume its really the maths part of inftyreader you are interested in).

Michael Whapples