Re: [orca-list] OK: Orca Version number...

Hi Chris:

Ah - good. You have a pretty recent version of Orca. From there, you should be able to try Orca from SVN trunk out.

Please read http://live.gnome.org/Orca/DownloadInstall. The most relevant commands on that page are:

1) Getting your build environment:

   sudo apt-get build-dep gnome-orca
   sudo apt-get install subversion gnome-common automake1.9

2) Getting Orca from trunk:

   svn co http://svn.gnome.org/svn/orca/trunk orca
   cd orca
   ./autogen.sh
   make
   sudo make install

NOTE that you must do some reading and understanding of commands before typing them. I cannot take responsibility for anything you type on your machine, and I cannot guarantee that I will be able to help you if you screw things up. The above represent a load of dynamite, a handgun, and some rope. When used with knowledge and care, however, they can do good things.

If you don't feel comfortable with the above, you're better off waiting until someone else has packaged things for you. The fixes will be in the Orca v2.25.90 development release and the Orca v2.24.4 stable release. The v2.25.90 release follows the GNOME 2.25.x release schedule and the Orca v2.24.4 release will be out sometime in early/mid Feb.

Will

Chris Gilland wrote:
OK, a few a you wondered what version I'm runnin' of Orca.  It's V2.24.1.

Hardy I386 Desktop Edition installed from Wubi.  This is Hardy 8.10.

I, remember: know absolutely nothing! about what I'm doowen so if you're gonna tell me how to do this, please! I beg: just this once: don't point me to rtfm docs. Please tell me step by step how to get fully updated.

I mean:  tell me via email; not via docs.

Sorry to be such a pest today.

Chris.