[orca-list] Adding new pronunciations causes a hang

Hi All:

I'm starting a new thread. Please respond to this thread for this subject only. Please don't hijack other threads by doing a reply all on some random message and then changing the subject. It ends up getting very confusing.

It has been reported that adding new pronunciations causes a hang in Orca. I have not seen this nor can I reproduce it with repeated testing. As such, this is going to be hard for me to track down.

The latest test case that seems to work for at least one user is the following:

   1. Disable braille support in the braille page.
   2. Click OK and restart orca.
   3. Activate orca's preferences, locate the pronunciation page,
      tab to the new entry button and press the space key.

   The result is that orca stops completely and I need to press
   ctrl+alt+backspace to restart gnome session.

Halim has also reported a similar hang to me in private e-mail. I cannot reproduce this at all, so I'm going to need some help here.

Please see if you can reproduce this issue. If you can, please take note of the exact things you did to cause it to happen. In addition, if you can reproduce it, please try reproducing it with svnversion 4432 by pulling svnversion 4432 using the following command:

svn co -r 4432 http://svn.gnome.org/svn/orca/trunk orca-4432

This will create an orca-4432 directory that you can go into and build/install orca from svnversion 4432. If you don't know how to build/install orca from svn, you can try the instructions at http://live.gnome.org/Orca/DownloadInstall. If you don't feel comfortable with the instructions, though, don't do it. You might end up breaking your installation of Orca if you don't know what you're doing.

In addition, if you can reproduce the problem, please also create a debug file using the instructions at http://live.gnome.org/Orca/Debugging.

Finally, please be very specific about the operating system and version you are using, what "gnome-about --version" gives you, which version of orca you are using (running "svnversion" in your svn directory will be very useful), etc. When I cannot reproduce a problem, all this information can help me deduce what the problem might be.

Thanks!

Will