Re: [orca-list] Fw: Playing multiple sounds?

Actually, I've seen this behavior as well, I think.

What I want to do is continue using pulse, but just have speech-dispatcher using alsa. I don't understand why this shouldn't be possible, since every indication seems to be that both of these technologies should be able to do full duplex, but this doesn't seem to be the case. If I kill and restart speech-dispatcher with it configured for alsa, I get silence. If I configure for pulse, it works just fine. Since pulseaudio is the future of Ubuntu at least, I'd really like to not have to modify my system substantially to step off the golden path for accessibility, especially since IIRC newer versions of pulse have apparently made improvements that let it be run system-wide instead of just from the X session (and, I hope, might be able to take on privileges and run in a lower-latency mode.)

I've configured for alsa and generated some log files here. You'll find a copy of my ~/.speech-dispatcher directory with all relevant configs and logs:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/147071/speech-dispatcher.zip

Any thoughts as to what might be happening here? Seems like we're encountering the same issue, and it'd be great if all folks had to do is copy over the stock speech-dispatcher configs and could use SD configured to use alsa alongside pulseaudio.