[orca-list] OT: Can no longer start Gnome by the command "startx"

Hi,
this morning I had to observe that I cannot start my Gnome session by
typing:
startx
No login screen seems to be their, e. g. I can type what I want, no
response.
I did a safe-upgrade yesterday and today, but no error messages or
warnings were shown.
Because gdm was not installed, I additionally installed it, and now the
session starts, but: I've to login twice in order to start my Gnome
session.
gdm needs my username and password to start the Xsession which again
asks my login dates; Orca still appears in the login window but not
after login; I've to restart it manually.
I use GRML with later installed Gnome packages.
Since GRML comes with a GUI (using Fluxbox wmii etc. as window managers)
I perhaps messed up the graphical interface.
So is there an easy way to rebuild the whole GUI using only Gnome?
Are their other solutions to fix this? Any ideas?
Hermann