Re: [orca-list] [ANNOUNCE] libao (new audio driver for speechd including working pulseaudio support).

Well, wrong way or not, it's the way things are going. Considering PA is easier to program for than ALSA,
supports real resampling and mixing rather than Dmix's attempts, and allows per-application audio device
specifics, it's more promising than most things we've seen for Linux audio in years. Now, if you have a true
multi-channel card such as the SB Live or Audigy2 then I can see how you get your opinion, but true
multi-channel is becoming very rare. If libao supports device selection via PA but sd simply doesn't use it,
I think it should be implemented through Libao and not through sd for the sake of streamlining the audio.
Linux audio is a mess as it is, sd doesn't need to make it even more complex by supporting its own device
selection methods if libao already does.
Personally I like OSS4's API best, but the drivers need more work and most Linux kernel people don't like it.