[orca-list] Reporting bugs upstream (was Re: pidgin 2.6.4 and orca)

Hi Steve:

I may have brought this up before but not sure.  When bringing up
these accessibility issues to upstream developers, what is the best
thing to tell them to get them headed in the right direction?  What I
mean is you can go up to someone and suggest they make their
application "more accessible" and you might try and explain what Orca
does but really, what facts can we give them to really get them
going.  How does an app developer properly talk to at-spi for example?

One thing to do is to approach this from the user standpoint.

"I had my friend/wife/husband/son/daughter/cousin/etc. look at the screen for me. There is this component that has a drawing of a flashlight on it and it appears to be the only way to open the search dialog. Since the component doesn't seem to accept keyboard focus, it seems as though the only way for someone to do a search is to use the mouse to click on the flashlight. I'm not able to position the mouse over the flashlight, so I cannot click on it. I *can*, however, use the keyboard.

Please provide a method to open the search dialog from the keyboard. One way to do this might be to make the flashlight object keyboard traversable. If you do that, it would be great, but you should also make sure to provide a textual equivalent for the flashlight icon so that users with visual impairments can use assistive technologies such as orca to have the object presented to them in speech and/or braille. You can find more information about this in the GNOME Accessibility Developer's Guide at http://library.gnome.org/devel/accessibility-devel-guide/nightly/. If you have any questions, please also feel free to ask on the gnome-accessibility-list mailing list."

Will